Important Tips and Tricks for doors and locks
Sometimes the locks harden and they seem to get stuck when the cold arrives. In this case, what you have to do is disassemble the lock and grease all the parts, both mobile and fixed parts. To do this you can help with a cotton swab or toothbrush. But before you have to remove the remains of fat that remain of the previous time, over time the grease, mixed with dust and other impurities can solidify and prevent the proper functioning of the lock. Be very careful not to bend or lose any piece.
Be very careful if you are installing a new lock. A defective installation will make the lock not work well. That is why it is very important to select a suitable lock model. To install the lock follow these steps:
- Remove the fence door
- Remove the lock
- Dismantle the cylinder, for it bases with removing the screw to which it is anchored
- Disassemble the lock box by previously removing the lag screws
- Install the new lock
- Adjust the box to the hole and mark the positions that occupy each box
- Make holes that will occupy the boxes in which we insert the metal part
- Make the hole
- Fit the lock
- Fix to the profile with the lag screws
- Place the door in its position and mark the place where the bolts and plates will be placed
- Make a recess for the plates
- Fix the boxes.
Beware of slamming doors
Sometimes due to excessive use or knocks and slamming the knobs of the doors can be damaged, although the most common is that they just loosen. In that case it will be enough to tighten the screws, but if these have gone of thread you will have to fill the holes of each screw with adhesive of assembly and a few wood chips. After it has dried you can put back the knob and screw it, the screw will grip in a new hole much firmer.
If your key breaks while trying to open a door, do not worry, being inside the lock, in theory it should still work and you should be able to remove the key.
To remove it you must follow a few steps:
- If a part of the key of the lock protrudes, even if it is small, try to grasp it with a clamp. If you have been able to do so, move it up and down while you try to remove it very slowly. At the same time you do this pull the latch. This will cause the mechanism inside the lock to release the key.
- If you can not grasp the key with the clamp, try inserting a small knife or screwdriver along the edge of the key and try to turn it as if it were a key. This may unlock the door.
- If you do not get it, there is a third method, put spray lubricant on the lock and let it act for a few minutes. Then put a pair of fine-tipped pliers in the lock and when you have a good grip on the piece of the key, pull it out. If you do not succeed at the first attempt, repeat the operation. Have patience, try it a few times, if you see that you do not get it then you will have to call a professional locksmith.
Another way to try to open a door is with an x-ray or a credit card. Follow these steps, it’s not easy but you may be lucky:
- Put some kind of lubricant on the frame of the door where you are going to insert the X-ray so that this or the card you are going to insert easily slides off.
- Insert half of the x-ray between the frame and the door, above or below the lock.
- Once inserted, go up or down the x-ray to the lock. When you reach it, make dry and firm movements until the door slip enters in and you can open the door.
The hinges , special attention
One of the most frequent and sometimes more difficult problems to solve is the adjustments of the cup hinges, those that carry the kitchen furniture. In general, to raise or lower the door we will have to touch the screws located in the vertical of the hinge. To move the door inwards or outwards, you will have to touch the screw on the part farthest from the door and to move the door to the left or right we will use the central screw closest to the cabinet door.
A peephole is an important safety element.
If you want to change the peephole you have on the door follow these steps
- The first step is to remove the one you have. To do this, you just have to grab the two sides of the window and turn them to unscrew it. In this way we will separate the peephole in the two parts that compose it, being able to remove each of them on one side of the door. If it is too tight, the part located inside the door usually has a groove in the outermost edge to be able to use a large screwdriver.
- Once the peephole has been removed, it will be necessary to measure the diameter of the hole in the door through which the peephole has to pass and its thickness, which is the minimum length that the new peephole must have in order to be able to cross the door from side to side . With these two data you can now choose the new window.
- If the hole in the door is smaller than the peephole to be installed or if the door did not have a peephole, the hole must be made or enlarged. To do this, it is necessary to know the diameter of the peephole to be installed. You also have to know if the door in which you are going to install the peephole is full of wood or if you have any metal plate inside, so we can choose the right drill in each case, since a wood drill will be damaged if use to hole metal. Having selected the drill only remains to make a hole in the door that passes from side to side, at the height that is most comfortable.
- Once the hole is made, it is only necessary to place the new window, inserting each of the two parts on one side of the door and screwing them together. Be careful and correctly identify the inside and outside to properly install the sight glass.
With all these tips, we hope we have helped you take care of your safety a bit more and make small home repairs that will prevent you from having to call a locksmith.